The city of Santarém is situated on a plateau, located on the right bank of the Tagus River, 65 km (40 miles) northeast of Lisbon. The economy of the city remains mainly dedicated to the production of agricultural goods.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Póvoa 7/12/2016

Feliz Aniversário Pai! Feliz Aniversário Haili!!!

Sorry I can't be there, but I do love you guys and hope you had/have a great b-day!!!

I've officially been on the mission for 6 months. I only got a "sister mission" (18 mos) left to go!!! hahaha. Even though it kinda sounds like a lot of time, it really isn't! I haven't had a whole lot of time to think about it, but here are some thoughts I had when I made 6 months:

1. God is helping me out. He really is. Straight up. There is no other explanation. I am soo thankful for Him helping me get to where I am. 6 months ago I couldn't speak Portuguese, I was super home sick, and I had no idea what I had gotten into. He guided me, and is continuing to guide me, to be the person He needs me to be.
2. The mission life is tough on your body, mind and soul, but I like it!
3. I still haven't found anybody from Hawaii, who speaks Hawaiian, or anyone who knows anything about Hawaii....let's have a moment of silence....kinda sad but I can't say it's not expected haha
4. I didn't burn a tie....
5. My clothes still fit, my belt is still good, and my shoes still look good haha.


This week has been rather hectic and cool!

I think I might've mentioned this last week, but last Sunday after church, this guy contacted us and asked us when our church held our services. We responded that it had just finished. He was like shucks, so we marked an appointment with him. We ended up meeting with him and talking and he's super cool! He's got 8 kids, loves the Bible, straight up accepted the invite to read the Book of Mormon, and was like 'I'm coming to church'!!! So he came to church! What made it all the cooler is that we're hoping to be able to help into the waters of baptism this transfer!

We found this super cool investigator named Marcela. She is evangelical, and totally believes in God. We taught her the restoration. She had some doubts, which we answered, and marked to talk with her and her family next time. This is where it gets interesting. She pulls out her phone to see when she's available and stuff, and I happen to look at her phone and I see that it's in Korean (must be my Korean instincts that told me it was Korean haha. No can read um but can recognize um, haha) I'm like, "hey do you speak Korean?" She says, "yeah!" I'm like 'WHAT!!!' Turns out she's learning how and is super into k-pop, and LOVES Korean dramas! I was like "do you know Running Man?" and she was like "yes!!!" 

This week was especially crazy cuz Portugal won the European Cup! Man it was nuts!! Fireworks, cars honking, people yelling craziness!!! And America thinks that the Super Bowl or March Madness is big...pfff, they don't know nothing, haha!!

We also had a special Mission Conference with all the missionaries of the mission yesterday!!! That's why I wasn't able to email you guys on Monday. It was super cool to see everyone I'd met before and to meet new people! I talked a lot with Elder Meza and Elder Wanlass! I love missionary friends!!!

Football madness (Borrowed from the internet)
We held the conference though, not so that we could socialize haha, but to hear from Elder Kearon, the Area Seventy President of Europe. Apparently, there's been some disobedience going on, so we were made aware of it so no gossip would happen and so we could move forward. Here are some things I learned from Elder Kearon are:


Three Fs for Leaders: We need to be Firm, Fair, and Friendly

"Count sacrifice a bargain"

"It's amazing the peace the Spirit brings"

During the conference I couldn't help but be so grateful for Elder Kearon, but especially for my mission president, President Amorim, and his wife, and all that they do for us. Also, I am so thankful for the rules and that I have been and continue to be obedient. When we are obedient, we don't need to worry, and as a bonus, we get blessings from God!!! Everyone wins and is happy!!!

Well, I love you, Family! Continue to have a great summer! Dad, happy birthday! Sister, happy birthday and happy baptism!!! Baptism is the door to the path of Christ and all the blessings He has in store for you! Once again, I love you, Family!!!
Portugal celebrating victory (Borrowed from the internet)

com amor,
Élder Kim do cabello de fogo

P.S.- Here is my new physical address:

Elder Hyrum K. Kim
Rua Sacrad Família n 72 1C
Póvoa de Varzim, Porto
4490-548 Portugal

I don't know though about sending letters to you guys right now. We still haven't found a post office of any kind yet, so as far as responding to everyone, I don't know when I'll be able to. Please let people know.

No comments:

Post a Comment