The city of Santarém is situated on a plateau, located on the right bank of the Tagus River, 65 km (40 miles) northeast of Lisbon. The economy of the city remains mainly dedicated to the production of agricultural goods.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Santarem 10/02/17

Aloha Família!

Well one more week has gone by...fogo (fire)...where does the time go. I feel like I sit down to write this email, I got out for a walk, and by the time I come back its the next week, já (already)! Sigh...so weird. This week was a good week. If I’m honest, it was a trial of my patience...

A lot of the week we just got wrecked. I don’t know what it was, if I just had a short fuse, or if everything was made to get to me in all the right ways, but I had a hard time not blowing up on people, haha. Tons of appointments fell thru, nobody has time, or is just not interested, and instead of being the bigger man and letting it go, I got salty....But I’m repenting and trying to do my best. I’m grateful for the challenges. I’m grateful for the Lord’s patience with me and also for the patience that my companion has with me. I’m grateful for the gospel that gives me an opportunity to overcome my weaknesses.

There was a ray of sunshine in the gloom! We marked Miguel and Tânia for baptism! They are the parents of that family we helped move house! We were rushing over to give the Sisters (missionaries) something they needed, and we saw them carrying something heavy to their house. So we stopped and helped them, and we asked to come by later. They said we could. We passed by later, and the first thing Miguel starts telling us is that he read the chapter we had left with them, and starts telling us what happened in the chapter! AWESOME! We sit down, we teach them the second lesson and we invite them to be baptized and they accept! I bore my testimony of how the gospel would bless not only their lives, but almost just as importantly, the lives of their children. The Spirit was really strong, and they shared with us that ever since they’ve been talking to us they’ve felt better, and that even their parents with whom they lived before have commented that they seem happier and stuff! In the closing prayer Miguel thanked God for the invitation to be baptized and said he’d continue to read the Book of Mormon! We are super excited for them! Sooo cool! They have some difficulties coming to church because of Miguel’s work, but we will continue to work with them.

I’m so grateful for the opportunities that we have to serve those around us. Really, it’s the most awesome thing in the world when people will actually hear us out and let us bless their lives! The blessings are real! 

General Conference was also really good. I felt like a lot of the talks were directed towards me, and had a lot of good advice and things to think about as I try to overcome my weaknesses. Something I was reminded of as I watched was the importance of keeping the bigger perspective. It’s so easy to get distracted and/or sidetracked, but as we focus on Jesus Christ doing our part, everything WILL work out. He is the font of everything that is good, and as we come unto Him, we are filled with a perfect hope that thanks to Him, we shall have eternal life.

Elder Kim and Elder Maloy
with the Awesome Roti!!
Funny experience this week was that in between the Sunday afternoon and Sunday night session we went and passed by some people who said we could come back another day. In doing this we met up with this Indian family! They let us in, and fed us roti! We didn’t really understand each other very good, but hey, everyone understands eating, haha. We shared a short, and VERY simple thought about Jesus Christ and then made our way out. It was pretty funny, and we hope to go back another day. 

Family, I love you guys! Make Jesus Christ the mark, and come unto Him by doing those small simple things that He has asked us to do. Know that He is aware of who you are, what you are going thru and how you feel, and that He has prepared MANY blessings for you, as you continue to exercise your faith. Have a great week!

com amor (with love),
Élder Kim


The wonderful Indian family who invited us in for Roti!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment